Jack Chan recently led teams to build scalable web apps on the cloud. He worked at large enterprises such as Adobe, Apple, Shutterfly and Amazon and ground-level tech startups. Jack dabbled with mining Ethereum before switching his focus to Proof-of-Stake blockchain networks, which evolved into co-founding a validator service across multiple networks, now responsible for a sizable staking delegation.
Jack is a Computer Engineering graduate from Illinois Tech, with an MBA from San Jose State University. In his free time, he enjoys improving his golf game, playing pickup basketball and a good walk.
June 2022 deliverables
Traveling from June 13th to July 4th, working at 50% capacity for the first 2 weeks (6/13-6/27)
- 🐉 Jack Chan 🎽 (9 days off): Operationalize Venture Network, Asia developer meetups (Kuala Lumpur & Bali), Cloud RPC cost reduction ($150K to $75K monthly). 80/50/100%
May 2022 deliverables
- 🐉 Jack Chan 🎽: Grant v2 guidelines, Report on Permissionless (investors & builders), QuickNode (Hermes & Cosmic) & Ankr RPC aggregator launched. 90/100/100%
Apr 2022 deliverables
- 🐉 Jack Chan 🎽: 48-hour turn-around for Grant Ops, 2 matched Accelerator (Jia & DeepWaters), Launch Covalent & QuickNode readiness. 100/100/100%
- Developer Advocacy — Streamline fund proposals to a 1-week decision cycle; partner with Incubator DAO with 25 grantees and 10 hackathon teams; partner with 3 quality projects to build solutions drawing in 100K users or $100M in liquidity; attend 10 events such as EthDenver, EthCC, SF Blockchain Week, etc.
- Bridges — to foster a two-pizza Protocol team to solve bounties to build bridges across 3 chains, such as Polygon, Arbitrum, Optimism, Polkadot and Cosmos
- Wallets — coordinate with our product partners to help with the integration of 1Wallet to Harmony's community; coordinate development of a mobile app as a set of bounties. Coordinate bounties to integrate with 3 other wallets, such as Trezor, Keepkey, Portis and Coinbase Wallet.
- Decentralized Ops — to foster a two-pizza Ops team to support our ecosystem growth with a stable and resilient cloud infrastructure with a minimal multi-Cloud footprint and Testnet support
- Decentralized Infra — to sufficiently decentralize our RPC and Graph service to 2 or more independent communities of node runners to run a better service than [*].harmony.one endpoints
Mar 2022 deliverables
- 🐍 Jack Chan 🎽: 3 grantees & 10 investors for Harmony Venture, Launch Harmony Talent Network and Harmony Advisors Network, Launch Chainstack RPC. 100/70/100%
Feb 2022 deliverables
- Advocacy — Develop new ecosystem partners at EthDenver, invest with Project X guidelines; projects in metaverse, insurance, identity, mobile service, forensics, etc.
- Grants — develop a base for Investors to review ecosystem builders starting from our list of ecosystem fund grantees
- Infrastructure — 1) self hosting (reduce latencies), 2) partners, starting with Chainstack launch, 3) community RPC DAO from the write-upHarmony RPC 2.0 — the DAO
Jan 2022 deliverables
- Developer Advocacy — develop a renew the current guidelines to raise the bar, with specific examples by Jan 15. Continue reviewing grant inbounds and complete 2 major outreaches.
- Decentralized Ops & Validators — work with VDAO to rollout the renewed Testnet and new Devnet.
- Decentralized Infra — to work with Chainstack & Covalent to get closer to rolling out with mid-Feb as deployment target. Begin establishing requirements on the new explorer with Etherscan while working with Jenya to get an even more scaleable state.
🎽 li: jack is very diligent in all of his projects, and also documenting his work and team processes. the hard work in front of jack now is to both push decentralization of our infrastructure while maintaining 100% uptime across the board. exceeds expectations.
Jan 31, 2021
- Grants & Partnerships — team now involves community, Launch DAO draft in progress; partnerships on zk-based Privacy, Identity, and Insurance in progress
- Ops & Validators — hiring in progress; discussing partnerships with DevOps shops; RPC 2.0 discussion kicked-off asking node runners to formalize a plan; forensics cybersecurity team in full force to combat theft
- Infra & Network — stabilized RPC network with traffic normalization between wallet and developer traffic; Cloudflare DNS in progress; Chainstack coming live in the coming weeks
Jan 10, 2021
- Developers & Ecosystem — committee reviewing close to 100 proposals in the backlog from end-of-year surge, last 30 days approved 28 proposals totaling $5.2M; strengthen team by adding Harmony Universe to the committee; partnership discussions underway on GameFi, NFT marketplaces, identity, insurance, stablecoin MIM, privacy, bridges, etc.
- Ops & Validators — reviewing Testnet/Devnet plans this week with VDAO involvement, community reached out (thank you!); reviewing 2 new Ops candidates
- Infra & Network — expanded RPCs by 50% + multi-cloud for resiliency; ramping up with Pocket Networks today; tested upgrade to v4.3.2 entire week on RPC nodes; MemoLabs will provide alternative to chain download rclone (in beta); Chainstack tuning their setup now
2021 Q4 Deliverables
- Monthly Deliverables: 2021 Oct
- Developer Advocacy — reviewing ecosystem fund submissions with a 48-hour first response; onboarding Gabriel
- Events & Meetups — Event Ops support in SF, Stanford Blockchain Club and finalize Miami NFT event
- Decentralized Infra — to migrate our RPC network to Pocket Networks moving 10%-15% traffic (25M txns/day) to their community
- Quarterly Milestones: 2021 Q4
- Developer Advocacy — develop a full end-to-end solution for inbound fund proposal submissions, vetting process, decision models, compliance framework, and funnel into Incubator DAO; attend Miami NFT conference
- Wallets — to coordinate the development of a secure frictionless 1Wallet experience; work with an external partner to integrate Wallet Connect; research FIDO-enabled security integration such as Nok Nok; work with Ledger team to support ONE on Nano X
- Decentralized Ops — construct two teams focusing on solving bounties around Infrastructure and Protocol development
- Decentralized Infra — to migrate our RPC network to at least 2 communities, targeting 50% (100M txns/day) traffic out of Harmony's infrastructure; to introduce a set of indexed endpoints to help our community build a highly responsive analytic solutions
Achievements in 2021 Q2-Q3
- Onboarding — engineering dev ops, hackathon ops, event ops, social media profile setup and transition decoupling from prior engagement
- Developer Advocacy — established workstream to manage inbound proposals towards approvals and announcements; hackathon support; booth support at Messari Mainnet with 12 quality contacts out of 60+ engagements
- Decentralized Infra — partnership with Pocket to migrate RPC traffic for community to approve via governance; resource tagging to prioritize future work to reduce hosting cost
Deliverables & 6-Week Focus
- Ecosystem Fund — Optimize the proposal workstreams and improve Funding FAQ; work with Incubator DAO to work with hackathon winners and grantees
- Wallets — Coordinate development of a secure frictionless 1Wallet experience, integrating with Wallet Connect and FIDO-enabled security; coordinate Ledger Nano X support
- Decentralized Infra — Partner with Pocket and Covalent Networks to migrate 50% RPC and indexing traffic; continue to optimize cloud footprint tracking 90% of all infrastructure costs
- Events & Meetups — Event Ops support in SF, Stanford and Miami; "bridge" in speakers across chains: ChainLink, Polygon & Cosmos; continue follow ups from MainNet contacts
- Ecosystem — Working through the Miami contacts
- Decentralized RPC — 1) Multiple events occurred in the new EU region nodes, adding rate limiters next week, 2) Proof-of-Concept using other cloud providers to reduce cost and improve disaster recovery (DR) scenarios, and decentralize further
- Wallet — reviewing roadmap for Chrome Wallet extension and staking dashboard
- Ecosystem — Engaged with 60 high quality contacts to partner in a highly successful Miami DeFi Summit DCentralCon conference. Meanwhile, committee managed to approve 5 grants, including an on-chain DocuSign equivalent (EthSign, a NYC Messari event contact), a Triple-A quality GameFi (MarsColony), 1-click Node Operator (Node Pilot by Pokt Networks).
- Decentralized RPC — Both Chainstack and Covalent team delayed their deliverables to Jan 2022
- Decentralized Ops — No viable candidate
- Wallet — reviewed Sef Wallet further, Miami booth feedbacks are good overall, swaps are a favorite; need to unblock onboarding with 0.2 ONE funding for wallet creation, and standardize fonts
- Ecosystem — Huge week for grants w/ major grant approvals: Bridges (Cosmos), DAOs (Africa DAO, TokenJenny DAO), Wallets (Infinity), DeFi (MonoX, StableUnit), NFT (NFT x Hollywood), Infra (Chainstack) totaling $800K+
- Decentralized RPC — 1) Websockets are also unlocked to global infra on 11/22, 2) Chainstack grant approved 11/19, launch ETA late-Dec, 3) Covalent contract signed, launch ETA mid-Dec
- Decentralized Ops — Hiring in-progress, awaiting all responses
- Wallet — refreshing security review practices, re-engaging contacts, onboarding whitehat personnel, 1Wallet FE Dev hired to improve on usability plus mobile app development
- Ecosystem — continued onboarding of new projects, 10 proposals approved for $550K, ecosystem analysis for roadmap underway
- Decentralized RPC — 1) Unlocked global infra presence on 11/15, at the same time doEVM calls reached 1B in total last 30 days, 2) Chainstack agreement reached, new service offering for developers targeted by end of year, 3) Covalent still in progress
- Decentralized Ops — received 70+ resumes over LinkedIn in a day, shortlisted to 20+ to follow up
- Ecosystem — Another 11 proposals approved, funded another $400K+
- Decentralized RPC — 1) Found issue with latency and LB stickiness for Pocket Networks, no ETA (traffic back with us), 2) Began rolling out multi-geo nodes for shard 0 RPC endpoints, targeting 11/17, 3) Covalent setup in progress, targeting 12/15 launch, 4) Finalized draft with Chainstack, will receive a proposal by next week
- Decentralized Ops — Recruiting underway for all regions, slight delayed due to NYC NFT event and vacation
- Events — Miami DeFiSummit plannings in full swing, SeekNFT is the 4th team to host booth, teams will split between 3 different conference locations
- Ecosystem — Total 68 proposals approved, funded, in Testnet or in Mainnet! Over $11+M thus far. Last week 16 proposals totalling $1M+ approved.
- Decentralized RPC — 1) Pocket Network exhaustion for a day on 11/3, now back to a steady state exceeding our 50M txn/day goals (60M/day and growing!). 2) Covalent contract signed, discussion next Tuesday. 3) Researching rclone replacement backed by decentralized storage.
- Decentralized Ops — Recruiting in progress for APAC/EMEA region, close to 1 hire in AMER region.
- Events — Miami DeFiSummit (Telegram) DCentralCon event on 11/30, confirmed 3 community teams (DFK, Harmoonies, MADinArt) to show case! Finalizing 4th team.
- Ecosystem — Abhi now does announcements. Gabriel to start taking follow-ups. LoginID discussions continue. Chat with Polygon ecosystem investment lead (their deal flow). Harmony grantees start to cross-pollinate.
- Decentralized RPC — service degraded 10/24, multiple solutions in-progress, re-organized load balancers (root caused and solved). Pocket: worked, issues root caused and solved. Covalent: slow to respond. Chainstacks: discussing.
- Decentralized Ops — posting on job sites, retained an APAC region recruiter, interview in to complete by mid-next week for AMER region
- Events — Reddit AMA and Twitterspaces AMA
- Ecosystem Proposals — quality proposals for gaming and institutional-grade custody, NFT marketplace and DeFi Lending
- Decentralized RPC — Pocket Network POC completed up to 25% traffic from bridge + developer RPC routed over
- Decentralized Ops — outreach to AMER and APAC candidates, job req written
- Events — NFT Metaverse meetup at Palo Alto on 10/22, call with Stanford Blockchain Club scheduling DAO talk in 4-6 weeks
- Ecosystem Proposals — averaging 3-5 new inbounds per day, Incubator DAO intro
- Decentralized RPC — Started POC with SSL cert additions for DNS routing to Pocket Networks
- Hackathon — completed and follow ups
- Ecosystem Proposals — approved 8 more proposals this week (Week 4), total now at 27 proposals approved, tallying close to $8.5M today. Majority funds Aave & Curve totalling $6M
- Workstream — established a Funding FAQ; discussed with a TradFi treasury partner, will not proceed; held initial Compliance framework discussions, awaiting their proposal, target barebones compliance framework be available by month end
- Events & Meetups — kickoff discussions with Miami's conference organizer for DCentralCon (11/30-12/1), reserving 20'x20' space, inviting grantees to participate; outreach to Stanford Blockchain Club; ordered Tappy card and 10K Harmony logo stickers
- Hackathon — reviewed all submissions
W: Ecosystem Proposals — reviewing all submissions, getting back to 48-hour first response
M: Compliance framework for proposals, cost cutting efforts on our Infrastructure by $100K/yr
Q: Decentralize RPC — to outsource our RPC network to 2 partners, targeting 50% traffic out of Harmony's infrastructure
- matt/esther - coordination for developers, account manager
- boris -
- quoc - very technical
- onboarding new developers
- ongoing grants and investments (matt)
- peter bringing key projects (jack/matt with quoc/aaron)
- essa/matt doing one more - how to onboard our partners, user guide, customer support, helping our ecosystem be successful
- technical documentation? both content and developer relations team
- who on the core team can? essa - operation/coordination/newsletter
- fellows: max, victa (graph),